Info for Presenters
Paper presentations will be allocated 25 minutes, followed by a 5 minute chaired question/answer discussion.
The presentation rooms are provided with a computer, video projector and audio equipment. There will be staff available for technical support during the whole conference. We recommend that you bring your presentation saved on a USB stick if possible (even if you are planning to use your own laptop)
Information on sightseeing and events in Helsinki can be found below:
- Visit Helsinki has information on sightseeing in Helsinki, events and interesting places, restaurants and shopping.
- See Helsinki on foot. 5 walking route maps around the city.
- Eat.fi has information about restaurants and cafes in Helsinki.The website uses an interactive map, and is very easy to use.
- The Helsinki Journey Planner allows you to plan trips around Helsinki by foot, bicycle, bus, train, or tram.
Helsinki is surrounded by islands, and at least three of them are worth visiting.
- Suomenlinna is a historic fortification, and a World Heritage Site. A ferry leaves regularly from the Market Square (Kauppatori) in the South Harbour (Eteläsatama). Tickets that are valid on the busses and trams are also valid on the ferry, or buy your ticket from the vending machine at the jetty. The trip there takes about 10 minutes, and give yourself a couple of hours to walk around. There is a Toy Museum, a nice cafeteria and an active brewery that also serves food situated on the island.
- Seurasaari is an open air museum, housing many historic structures from around Finland. Parts of it are also in active use as farm or craft buildings. You can visit the island by public transport, and can walk freely around the island. Entering the museum buildings will cost EUR6. There is a little kiosk on the island, and a fireplace where you can grill sausages (Makkara) which can also be bought from the kiosk. Bus 24 leaves every 30 minutes from outside Lasipalatsi near the Railway station and ends at Seurasaari.
- Korkeasaari houses the Helsinki Zoo, and is accessible either by land or by sea. Bus 11 leaves from the Railway Square (Rautatientori) and the ferry leaves from the Market Square (Kauppatori) in the South Harbour (Eteläsatama). The ferry ticket includes an entrance fee to the Zoo. Prices start from EUR7.